Monday, September 26, 2011

L'église Sainte-Thérèse, panoramas, and other things

Colorful concrete



A walk
Looking through the photos in this folder I can't recall much. I went for a walk on a warm sunny day in June, and I tried taking some photos to stitch them into a panorama later. I've just discovered that functionality in my image editing software and I was eager to try it out. Needless to say I returned with many sameish photos which made a messy panorama which was never saved.

There's a photo almost identical to this one on Wikipedia

This was to be the centrepiece of the panorama 
I can't exactly remember where in Metz I was, but I do recall liking the area, It had a decent mix of everything.

A small amphitheatre with a drain in the middle,
I don't think I was able to find it a second time 

This was to be part of another panorama

As I left the panorama attempts behind I began walking through the town.

Greener grass

The stuff of spy films

As far as the eye can see and closer
In my wanderings I've noticed a tall.. something, I wasn't sure what it was but it looked like a needle pointing upwards. Curiosity took over so I approached.

Pointing upwards
 It turned out to be the tower of L'église Sainte-Thérèse, a massive concrete building which at first glance is as unsightly as they get.

A closer look
As I approached, a kind lady noticed me snapping photos and looking perplexed, and asked me if I would like to look inside before she closed. And so I did. It was quiet, still and surprisingly colourful. For all the grey dullness of the outside, the inside of the building was filled in vibrant light supplied by the stained glass. I hadn't even noticed there was stained glass before entering. By the time I got out I remembered I forgot to take any photos.

Stained glass

The stained glass on the sides
I continued my walk through the streets looking for what was supposed to be the old train station. I'm still unsure if I ever found it.

Was this is?

I remember waiting a long time for the light to turn green here

I eventually came across a tower and a small park, which was rather welcome. As I rested on one of the benches, I vaguely recall some kind of paperwork, maybe insurance papers from my trip to the dentist earlier? I also recall disturbing a man taking care of private business near the tower while I was taking pictures. Fortunately enough I noticed him before pushing the button.

One lonely tower

One dirty bench

One locked door

One fountain

One red building

I went around the square with the fountain and resumed my walk, presumably back to the dorm as it was getting quite late.

One park

There will be a panorama of this later

Mirror mirror

The rest of the day was wasted spent on attempting to piece together would be panoramas unsuccessfully. There was one exception however, which will be revealed at a later date.


No comments:

Post a Comment